The Winter of 1941

            Most of that first winter on Lindsey Street is from told memory.  Since I was only four I have very little actual memory.  My mother, who was really not thrilled with moving from our rental home on Lexington to our new home at 246 South Lindsey, spent a lot of time telling me in later years about those early days.

            Of course this was a hard winter for our whole nation.  After that Sunday afternoon of December 7, 1941, when the Empire of Japan attacked our Pacific fleet at Pearl Harbor, life really became a challenge for all the families of our nation. All of Lindsey   Street was worried about their older sons and when they would be drafted in the ‘service’ as we called it in those early days of World War Two.

            The Evans family who lived across the street from us knew that their oldest son Murray would be among the first from Lindsey Street to leave.  It was still early in 1942 when the blue stars begin to appear in the windows of the homes on Lindsey. The Evans house was indeed the first, followed by the Stegalls, Frye’s, Barbers, McPeak, and then around the corner to Lexington on the North and College Street on the South.  Our nation was at war and the fathers and sons of East Jackson joined the millions of other men from across our nation to go to the ‘service’ of their country.

            On the home front it was also a difficult winter.  Since our house was open on all sides underneath Dad spent the winter fighting off the frozen pipes, trying to keep the inside warm and starting his dream projects of making our house into a home.

            The house was really only four large rooms with a bath in the back extending onto the back porch. Where the four rooms came together a grate stood in each corner all using a common chimney. We burned cold in the grates and had a large oil heater in one room to help keep the winter outside of the house. This was a difficult task since the house had no insulation, no sub floor and windows that rattled in the winter wind.

            We had a Christmas tree that year and it even had real lights on it. For the next several years Christmas light would not be available so until Christmas of 1946 these light were made to last as long as possible. In those days when one light on a string would burn out all the lights on that strand would go out so dad spent a lot of time finding the bad light and putting a piece of foil in the socket under the burned out bulb to fool the strand into thinking that the bulb was working. By 1945 very few of the bulbs worked and we burned them only a day or so before Christmas and then on Christmas day.

            1946 would see new lights as well as the invention of the candle bubble light.  It was shaped like a candle and when it got warm it would bubble like it was really burning.  Most of the Lindsey Street boys had returned from ‘the war’ and it was a happy close to four bad years.

            That first winter we stayed bundle up in the house, slept under lots of blankets and fell asleep praying for our soldiers and asking God to give us victory and a future.  It was a sad and hard year but the folks of Lindsey Street held together, worked, worshiped, and believed in our country and the future God had for us. From Lindsey Street to the throne of heaven God knew that we needed Him and depended on Him.




Published in: on August 28, 2013 at 12:05 am  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: